Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Season of Sentiment


I am missing Tennessee and this holiday season has me blue. I will find out if I will be employed with the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office this upcoming week...wish me much luck! I'm ready to begin my adult career and be a better provider to my family. My current salary just isn't going to cut it. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope"—Martin Luther King Jr. I learned that quote from an almost lover. By the way, the picture above was taken by Megan!

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting my hunting license for the state of Utah. I have always been a gun enthusiast and find it highly rewarding to literally put "meat on the table". Recently, I shot the Springfield M1A Scout Squad model and believe I want it as my next hunting rifle. It was highly reliable, lightweight (8.8 lbs. empty), accurate, and solid. The rifle is definitely a lot more "top heavy", but it's a small price to pay. Recoil was almost non-existent and the rifle stayed on target for followup shots. Then there's the FN Scar 17s...I'll admit: I need it, but I want it. While there are numerous rifles out there that will get the job done, this one simply gets it done eloquently. 

Weighing in at only 7.9 lbs., 700 meters effective range (766 yds.), and just gorgeous! Truth be told, I have not fired either weapon from more than 250 ft (83 yds.). The effective firing range for the M1A is 500 yds. I believe, which is still more than plenty. I've never splurged on a weapon before, and I have other weapon-related needs (e.g., I just purchased carrier plate vests for the family without plates). The big price tag for the Scar can be attributed to the fact that FN Herstal has a contract with the U.S. Military. You pay for quality, name, and fame. Anyway, I will not be making any purchases until the beginning/middle of next year, stay tuned! Thank you all for your time and consideration. Below, is a list of things I've included or wish to add to my own home survival kit:

1. Tactical Shotgun
2. Pistol(s)
3. Reliable Hunting Rifle
4. Bathtub Water Storage Container
5. FIRST AID
6. 200 Rounds of Ammo (for every caliber you own. 1000+ for pistol/primary defense)
7. Reliable Safe/Supplies Storage
*To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment